There are times when our babies become very colicky and keep on crying without any reason at all, or so it seems that way. And one way of calming them is through swaddling. This is actually used long before by parents to calm their newborns to be able to cure and prevent their babies from crying and colic. Our babies actually love being swaddled. They feel secure and comfortable when they are wrapped around the blanket completely.
We have seen nurses do it very easily, and quickly but when we got home and try imitating it for ourselves, we find out that itís not as easy as it seems. The blanket you have for your baby should be large enough to cover him altogether, no matter what material it is made of. It should also be unambiguous to the weather, meaning, it should not be too hot or too cold. You should also do this on a flat surface in order to completely flatten the blanket. Try doing this on a carpeted floor so that you donít have an accident with your baby, and so you can stretch the blanket out far. To help swaddle your baby, below are step by step directions on how to do it.
1) The first thing you need to do is to use large blanket and flatten it in a flat surface, laying it in a diamond shape. Then, fold the top corner and place your baby on top of the blanket.
2) Next, one side of the blanket should be pulled across your babyís chest and slip it under your babyís opposite arm.
3) Have the bottom of the blanket folded over feet and slip it in behind your babyís shoulder.
4) Then, with the remaining side of the blanket, pull it across your babyís chest and tuck it underneath.
5) If youíre baby is swaddled appropriately, she should be comfortable enough and feel cozy with it that she might even fall asleep.
When you swaddle your baby, just make sure that you make it tight enough to make her feel comfortable and warm. Whatís important is that your baby will feel relaxed to make her stop crying and help her sleep comfortably. The swaddle should be snug to stop keep your baby from getting out, but donít make it too tight either as it might hurt your baby. If the swaddle is not snug, this might keep your baby fussy and stop her from sleeping well.
Always make sure you check on your swaddled baby, and that you have a baby monitor on at night. Check to make sure he or she isnít too cold or too hot, doing so will keep them happy and at ease. You also want to make sure you keep their arms down by their sides and wrapped tightly. They have a common reflex where they flail their arms out, which makes them feel like theyíre falling so, this will keep them feeling safe and from having that reflex every now and then.