Living in this modern age has lots of perks including the new technology that makes daily routines easier. Now you no longer have to go through long lines in the bank to withdraw money since there are literally tons of ATM machines everywhere. However, we cannot also take away the fact that in this modern day, there are also lots of people who take advantage of others – these are people who do bad things to survive their day. This is why we cannot blame others who are afraid to withdraw money from ATM since they are worried that someone might be looking and ready to snatch their wallet right there and then while, sometimes, people are afraid of various modus operandi involving the ATM machine. There are cases wherein, the person who is withdrawing money thought the machine is broken since no money was dispensed but when he or she turns away from the machine there comes the people who purposely did something to keep the money stuck so they will instantly get the money. While some groups try to see the pin you punched in and when they got the information they will do something to get your attention and before you know it, they already got your card. These are definitely the reasons why you should be extra careful when you are withdrawing money from ATM machine. Here are some tips to help you securely withdraw money from an ATM machine:
1. Choose an ATM machine located in a well populated place – avoid using ATM machine in dark corners or areas where there is barely people around. This is far scary so as much as possible try to withdraw where there are many people including security guard. Now, there are also lots of machines inside shopping malls so it is definitely preferable to use one of these.
2. Make sure no stranger is too close when you are withdrawing money – it doesn’t matter if it is a small kid or old lady but make sure that a stranger is at least 10 steps away from you and the machine. Do not punch in your pin until you are sure that no one is watching you. When someone tries to act subtle in getting close to you, try to politely ask the person if he or she could go away since you are not comfortable. When the person refused to go away, do not argue, just find another ATM machine where you can withdraw your money safely.
3. Cover the number pad when hitting your pin number – it doesn’t matter if you have 10 digit or 4 digit pin number but the important thing is you cover the number pad with your hands so no one can read what number combinations you’re hitting.
4. Wait for the machine to state the error – when the machine is acting weird – not dispensing cash or something, wait for an error message, if you see no error message, see if there’s something stuck in the area where the money comes out. Make sure that there’s really nothing there. Then try to make another transaction and just see if the money in your account is still the same.
5. Report loss ATM card immediately – now, let’s say, you lost your card or someone stole it from you, make sure to report it immediately. Call your bank to block the card so no one can use it.
It is definitely important to be extra cautious when you are withdrawing money from the ATM. You do not want your hard earned money to be just lost or taken. For sure the tips mentioned will be useful.