Breast conditions such as breast cancer is fast becoming one of the major concern in women’s health. There are lots of women who suffer and die from this condition every year and that number is greatly increasing in each year that passes by. Breast massage is the type of therapy which focuses on the treatment of a variety of breast problems in women.
Lymphatic massage is also used to treat breast conditions during a breast massage therapy session. The technique is utilized to increase the lymph flow within the body which helps release any blockage such as waste, toxins, and other harmful substances from the tissue. Like any of the part of the body, the breasts themselves contain lymphatic ducts and that anything that blocks or gets clogged within the tissues can cause discomfort to the individual. This type of therapy can also help treat conditions such as body pain, soreness, and aches on the breast area.
Breast massage therapy also keeps the breast from sagging by maintaining the health of the Cooper’s ligaments. Aside from keeping their healthy form, it also contributes a lot in preventing medical conditions including:
• Edema – also known as dropsy or hydropsy, it is when the body suffers from too much production or accumulation of fluid beneath the skin or in the cavities of the body due to improper lymphatic drainage. It can manifest in specific areas of the body.
• Breast Pain – pain in this specific area can be caused by several factors. It can either be due to adhesions, inflammation, abnormal lymphatic discharge, and a few other causes.
• Engorgement – this is usually common among women who just gave birth to their baby. It usually happens during the transition of the mother’s milk from the colostrums to mature milk. However, there are some cases where it can also occur if the mother skips nursing or when milk from the breast is not enough.
• Lymphedema – it is a condition caused when the lymphatic system is compromised which in return causes tissue swelling and retention of fluid called lymph. It is somehow similar to edema which also causes abnormal swelling due to the accumulation of body fluid.
• Sore Nipples – it is common on lactating women and is mainly caused by the wrong sucking of the nipples by the infant. The mother should teach her baby the proper and correct way of breastfeeding.
• Milk Stasis – it is the condition when the milk duct is blocked which causes the abnormal flow of milk. Although it is not regarded as an infection, this breast disorder can be quite bothersome.
• Mastoptosis – basically, it is a condition where the breasts begin to sag and loose its normal form.
During the massage therapy, the patient needs to remove her upper clothing to reveal her breasts. Gentle massage will be performed on the breast depending on the condition and treatment with each specific client. When having a breast massage therapy, make sure that you are comfortable with your massage therapist. In case you feel uncomfortable, you can always do a massage therapy on your own.